Location: Zeeland, MI
Job Title: Dispatcher FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Dispatch/Delivery Reports to: Logistics Manager
Summary: Dispatcher is responsible for assigning shipments to 20+ trucks and drivers based on optimum service and qualifications, scheduling of routes and material handling activity using bisTrack/WMS technology and arranging back-hauls/credits. Provide excellent customer service by meeting customer’s needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for determining the most efficient and economical methods of shipment for company products.
- Regularly interacts with operations manager, product managers, sales, drivers, material handlers, other department team leaders and human resources.
- Resolve issues with lost or damaged product. Document delays or possible delays and all other pertinent information about critical shipments.
- Facilitates cooperation and communication within delivery department team and company.
- Gathers all information necessary to insure smooth daily operations. Records dispatch time, perform call outs, time of arrival, time of departure, time of delivery, proof of delivery, tracking information, and other time critical information.
- Promote continuous process improvement.
- Meet or exceed assigned daily delivery goals.
- Instructs team members regarding delivery schedule and department responsibilities.
- Ensuring work is completed in a timely and safe manner.
- General knowledge on all of Zeeland Lumber’s products
- Learns, understands and works with bisTrack/WMS/ERP systems
- Proactive monitoring and tracking critical shipments to ensure timely delivery of equipment.
- Demonstrate equipment operations and work and safety procedures to new employees, or assign employees to experienced workers for training.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems or complaints.
- Ensure team compliance with the quality system and applicable policy, procedure and practice.
- Enforce safety regulations.
- Follow DOT regulations and monitor driver log sheets
- Dispatching multiple geographies in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois. Geography experience and map reading capability a must.
- Tracks weather and traffic issues and other events that may cause delays. Communicates and documents events proactively.
Qualifications / Requirements
- 3 years of dispatch experience preferred.
- Technological capabilities
- Enterprise ERP understanding (WMS/bisTrack)
- Internet (GPS tracking/maps)
- Strong analytical and cognitive skills.
- Energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- Ability to follow basic written and verbal instructions, such as bills of materials and shipping documents, or equivalent. Ability to read shipping documents.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
Education / Training / Experience
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- 3 years of related training and experience, or equivalent, within the shipping/transportation industry
- Experience in the Building Industry preferred
Reporting to this Position: No direct Reports, Indirectly – all drivers and material handlers
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Personal characteristics/behavior that contribute to the ability to do your job well:
- Respect for employees, customers, vendors and management.
- Heart for the customer and their needs.
- Provides service to customers in a courteous and professional manner
- Commitment to company values.
The above is a list of activities routinely performed by this position and includes the essential functions an individual must perform for the position. The above list is not all inclusive and the Operations Manager reserves the right to add and/or remove any job duties as deemed necessary at any time. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence of policies.