Location: Elkhart, IN
Job Title: Engineered Products Designer FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Truss Design Reports to: General Manager
Summary: The Engineered Products Designer designs engineered wood products for roof, floors, and wall systems used in commercial and residential projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must learn all facets of blue print take-offs.
- Must learn / be knowledgeable in all areas of the software programs used.
- Must accurately quote out projects per customer’s specifications in a timely manner, and follow through with established checks / balance procedures.
- Assist customers in the design and planning of construction projects in a courteous and pleasant manner.
- Design engineered products to meet criteria established by customer to meet all state and county codes as well as sound engineering / construction practices and follow the procedural guidelines of the Design Group.
- Present finished layouts and shop drawing for all sold jobs, and make necessary alterations.
- Use resources available to enhance sales, and continually strive to improve sales and communication skills.
- Assist in both the office, and field, as needed.
- Assist in estimating all materials supported by the company, as required.
- Cooperate with all personnel, policies, and programs, in such a way as to always enhance the image of the company, each division, and employee.
- Use own good judgment and abilities to support the best interests of the company in all situations and to perform other related duties as assigned.
- Manage projects to the deadlines
Qualifications / Requirements
- Technological capabilities
- CAD software
- Alpine Design software
- LP solutions
- Ability to see objects 3 dimensionally
- Ability to learn and grow as industry changes.
- Excellent listening skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Willingness to strive to succeed no matter what obstacles may come.
- Positive attitude & self motivation
- Ability to perform basic accounting tasks
Education / Training / Experience
- Associate Degree in related field is preferred
- Two years of estimating / design experience
- Construction knowledge / experience helpful
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
The above is a list of activities routinely performed by this position and includes the essential functions an individual must perform for the position. The above list is not all inclusive and the General Manager reserves the right to add and/or remove any job duties as deemed necessary at any time.