Location: Zeeland, MI
Job Title: Payroll / HR Specialist FLSA Status: Hourly Non-Exempt
Department: Human Resources Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Summary: Payroll / HR Specialist provides payroll and administrative support to the Human Resource department on all personnel matters. Meet established departmental goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Tracks & processes employee hours and timecards including temporary employees.
- Handle complex payroll processing, reports, reconciliations, payroll taxes, year-end procedures and W-2’s for multi-state employees.
- Process off-cycle paychecks, paycheck reversals and tax adjustments, collections/overpayment tracking, reporting deductions and earnings accurately.
- Ensure the accurate processing of all mandatory and voluntary deductions as well as garnishment, liens, direct deposit requests, 401(k), insurance, etc.
- Create and analyze regular and special reports through HRIS/Payroll system reporting.
- Investigate complex inquiries from and respond to taxing agencies.
- Processes paperwork for new hires and terminations – I9 verification, reference checks, online background investigation, MVR, & orientation training.
- Use payroll employment & compensation history to respond to unemployment claims.
- Participates in benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, and approve invoices for payment.
- Assists in maintaining documentation of training completed.
- Assists HR department with various research projects and/or special projects.
- Performs filing, mail distribution, making photocopies, scanning, faxing documents and performs other clerical functions.
- Assists with administering and compliance of company policies as it relates to procedures and reporting.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Perform duties in a safe manner.
Qualifications / Requirements
- Advanced computer proficiency.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to company values.
- Positive attitude, dependable and adaptable
Education / Training / Experience
- Three (3) years of payroll and/or human resources experience
- An associate’s degree in Accounting or Human Resource Management preferred
- Knowledge of Federal and State Garnishment regulations and processing.
- Knowledge of multi-state tax withholding reciprocity agreements and how to process.
- ADP software knowledge preferred
Reporting to this Position: No direct reports
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
The above is a list of activities routinely performed by this position and includes the essential functions an individual must perform for the position. The above list is not all inclusive and the President reserves the right to add and/or remove any job duties as deemed necessary at any time. The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence of policies.